Thursday, August 21, 2014

"Life was good / before I met / the monster"

   I decided that my first review post would be about one of the books I've read multiple times and have enjoyed more and more each time.  Crank by Ellen Hopkins is an incredible story that introduces YA readers to Kristina, a young woman who becomes addicted to crystal meth, A.K.A "crank," and how through the drug, she becomes Bree, her immensely brave, sexual, and dangerous alter ego.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_%28novel%29

   Hopkins does a fantastic job of showing the transition from insecure high school girl to full-blown meth addict who lives through the person she always wanted to be, while destroying relationships along the way.  Kristina's character will bring you heartbreak as you live through her emotions on every page.  What is really special about this book, in my opinion, is that it is written in verse, something I was really into when I was in high school.  I first read What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones, which is written in verse, my freshman year.  After that, I was obsessed with works written in verse.  I began writing my own poetry in this fashion, and even made a book out of all my poems which came out to be a lot of printer ink that I owed my parents.  Then I found Crank, and it made my obsession even deeper.  Crank takes you on the whirlwind voyage that is addiction, and you see it all through Kristina's eyes, as if you were reading her diary.  I fell in love with this book.

   Now, based on the topic of Hopkins' book, I would set the intended audience at YA, around 16+ years of age.  Addiction is a serious matter, and it can be incredibly scary to read about, even if it is fiction.  Crank is a very quick read, especially since it is in verse.  The story grips you and you'll have finished in what seems like five minutes.  I definitely recommend, not only as a good read, but as a way to spread awareness and learn about something you weren't familiar with before.

   My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

   You can purchase Crank here, here, and here.

   Happy reading!

   -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment