Friday, August 22, 2014

"I was supposed to be having the time of my life."

   My second review is of a book I recommend to every young woman in her late teens/early twenties.  The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath tells the emotional and relatable story of Esther, a girl who is swirling into a life of deep depression and insanity.  Plath shows the deep and realistic truths of what it is like to be young and depressed, despite all that you might have in your life.

http://www.sylviaplath.info/thumbsbooks.html


   Esther finds herself in New York City interning for a magazine - something many young ladies would dream of.  She meets new friends and new boys, yet she still can't find happiness.  Through her own perspective, we watch her dwindle down to a lifeless, haunted, and troubled woman.  We also get to see medical perspectives of Plath's era and how Esther reacts to psychological treatment.

   The Bell Jar was a book I felt saddened by, but enlightened by, as well.  I felt like I understood Esther, especially as someone who deals with depression.  But even so, Plath makes the character of Esther so engaging and understandable that we thrive for her throughout the story.  Any young woman would appreciate Esther and this book, and that is why I recommend it to all who are interested.

   My rating: 4 out of 5 stars

   You can purchase The Bell Jar here, here and here

   Happy reading!

   -Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment